Notice of Motion: Public Private Partnerships to improve quality of Parks in eThekwini
The Speaker – eThekwini Council
Councillor Logie Naidoo
16 April 2012
Dear Mr Speaker
NOTICE OF MOTION IN TERMS OF RULE OF ORDER 13
This council noting:
- the rapidly changing land use in parts of our City;
- the changing priorities of our City government;
- the significant challenge of maintaining and cleansing all parks and public open spaces;
- the poor state of maintenance and cleanliness of many parks and public open spaces; and – that neglected parks and public open spaces are often used as bases for criminal activity.
Resolves that the Parks department be mandated to within 3 months of this meeting:
- Investigate and report on the feasibility of entering into Public-Private Partnerships with businesses located adjacent to or across from public parks or public open spaces whereby:
- businesses share the costs of maintaining, cleansing and lighting the parks
- in exchange a portion of the park not exceeding 25% be converted to strictly managed parking
for use by the businesses in a manner approved by the Parks department.
- Report on any bylaw changes which may need to take place to allow for such an initiative.
- Identify 5 pilot sites for a 1 year pilot after which a framework and guidelines be drawn up for this to be replicated across eThekwini.
PROPOSER Councillor Warwick Chapman
SECONDER Councillor Rick Crouch