Notice of Motion: Pedestrian Safety
The Notice of Motion which follows was approved at the 27 September eThekwini Full Council Meeting.
15 September 2011
Councillor Logie Naidoo
NOTICE OF MOTION IN TERMS OF RULE OF ORDER 13
This council noting that:
The WHO’s “World report on road traffic injury prevention” which says:
1. The principal road safety engineering techniques for improving the safety of pedestrians and cyclists are the provision of safer routes … and area-wide speed reduction or traffic-calming measures.
2. Area-wide speed and traffic management can be highly effective, particularly in residential areas, where benefits have been found to exceed costs by a factor of 9.7.
3. At speeds below 30 km/h pedestrians can coexist with motor vehicles in relative safety and recommends that limit for residential roads.
Resolves that Exco investigates and reports on the following:
1. ETA be required to consider and report within 3 months on the section of the report entitled “Interventions” and consider implementation of the recommendations.
2. The budget for traffic-calming measures such as rumble strips and speed humps be doubled for the next financial year.